Cleaning products are absolutely essential to our existence: they help maintain sanitary and healthy surroundings in our homes and in public places. They are used on countertops, on doorknobs, in toilets and sinks, on our furniture, clothes, dishes and windowpanes. We use them to remove dust and stains for aesthetic purposes, but more importantly, we use cleaning products to reduce the number of harmful microorganisms that could cause disease if left unchecked.
Certain types of household cleansers such as Ajax, Drano, and even some laundry detergents, can have certain carcinogens in them that are harmful if ingested. They may do a good job at their purposes, but you want to use them sparingly, as too much use of these products can include trace amounts of Formaldehyde. This ingredient causes problems with lungs – such as asthma, breathing, and respiratory system.
Every day, we expose ourselves to toxic chemicals through our daily activities, especially through cleaning. You might think you are protecting yourself from disease by killing germs, but many of the chemicals you use are loaded with harsh ingredients that may actually cause more harm than good. You won’t get sick from simply using Chlorox to clean your bathroom one time, but toxins are often bio-accumulative, meaning that even though you are only exposed in small amounts, this can add up overtime to levels that are high enough to be harmful.
If you’re not sure if your New York City Apartment, just go over to your window ledge and run a wet paper towel across the ledge. If you see some dirt, or black / grey dirt – that is soot. What’s included in New York City soot is:
Regular cleaning products may be low-cost, but they have many hidden costs to the environment. Chemicals from household bleach, detergents, dish-soaps and toilet cleaners can leach into the soil and into our water without decomposing for decades.
Bleach is present in thousands of products, from toilet cleaners to disinfectant wipes. Bleach, which also goes by the names “chlorine bleach” or “sodium hypochlorite,” is one of the oldest and most common household cleaning products in the market today. Bleach is made by combining chlorine and caustic soda (also known as lye), which are both very potent chemicals themselves.
Since Triclosan is lipophilic, it has the ability to accumulate in fatty tissue and stay there without decomposing for long periods of time. And since Triclosan is so ubiquitous, it’s so easy to come into contact with it. 75% of the U.S. population is already contaminated with the chemical. According to a report from the Scientific American, Triclosan was found in breast milk, blood, and urine tested in laboratories.